Tuesday 12 June 2018

REVIEW - Fat Girl - faces future with sass


Date read: 12th June 2018

My rating: 4.5*

Genre I reckon: Self-discovery whilst dieting, humour

Buy link: Amazon





Now, to you, my lovely blog readers, I will make a little confession...
I read this book as I recently discovered this author online. She's a fabulous person, supporting her fellow authors.

When I learned she'd also written about a girl with weight issues I was worried.
Will it look like I copied her, when my WIP gets released?
I'm happy to report it won't.
I'd already started writing when I discovered her, for a start.
And although we cover the same topic, it's from different perspectives. Plus, y'know, US vs UK thought processes and spellings, oh, and culture.

So, my review of Fat Girl...


A very open and honest book about the struggles of Fat Girl.
Bless her, her self-loathing really has climaxed. And she's faced with having to deal with her issues.
But her therapy sessions go deeper and further than she expected.

I really liked Claire; a very flawed MC.
I'm British, so self-deprecation kinda goes with the territory, and I respected that aspect of her character.

It is not an easy read. As Claire punishes herself with her strict starvation and harsh exercise regime I was screaming, and almost throwing my Kindle across the room! "What are you doing?" I asked her. Strangely, the character didn't respond ;-)

Dating fiascos and family troubles run riot in this sombre yet funny novel.
And it is funny. There's a wry humour running throughout.

This is a great journey through self-discovery, taking the scenic road, bumpy hills included.


Any book reviewed on my blog comes with a genuine "recommend to a friend" status.
And this is no exception.

No comments:

Post a Comment