Tuesday 23 October 2018

Interview with an Author - No. 1 - Gill Sims

Author Bio
Gill Sims is the author and illustrator of the hugely successful parenting blog and Facebook site ‘Peter and Jane’. She lives in Scotland with her husband, two children and a recalcitrant rescue Border Terrier, who rules the house.


Author name: Gill Sims, same as my real name.  
I’ve just realised I missed a trick and should have taken the opportunity to have an exotic and exciting author name- I always wanted to be called Belinda when I was little, so I should have called myself something like Belinda Carrington-Colby (yes, I was a Dynasty fan).

Are you a traditionally published/indie/hybrid author?
Sort of traditionally published with the lovely people at HarperCollins, but it’s a little bit complicated, because although my books are fiction, they are published through the non-fiction department, because I started out as a blogger.

What was the last book you released?
Why Mummy Swears was my last fiction book, Why Mummy Swears
And a companion journal to both my books, Why Mummy Drinks: The Journal is out on October 18th .


How long have you been writing? 
I’ve been writing books for about two years, and I was blogging for about eight months before that.  Then there was a period where I was blogging daily as well as writing a book, which was quite hard-going, but I’ve been incredibly lucky to find myself in the position I am in such a short time, so I am not complaining at all! 

What is the most challenging thing about writing for you?
Stopping playing Solitaire, or faffing about on the internet and actually knuckling down and doing it- I am a terrible procrastinator!

And what is the best thing about writing?  
I get to stay at home with my needy Border Terrier, Judgy Dog, and pander to his many whims.  Also, I can eat all the chocolate biscuits while there is no one else in the house, so I don’t have to share (what a shame chocolate is so bad for dogs, so I can’t share with Judgy either!)

Where is your favourite writing spot?
It is dictated by Judgy Dog- he likes to snuggle up beside me on the sofa, so that is where I have to write, because if I try to do it anywhere else, he just annoys me until I give in and go and sit on the sofa so he can sit on me.

What do you do during times of self-doubt or (goodness forbid) if “writer’s block” strikes? 
I find a good bracing dog walk does wonders for blowing away the cobwebs and clearing the mind.  We are lucky enough to have beautiful woods behind us where we walk, and watching the changing seasons is wonderful for taking your mind off things, there is something new to see every day.

What is the most frivolous thing you’ve purchased with your royalties?
I haven’t really made any big purchases- my husband insists I should consider changing my car for something slightly more modern, but there is nothing wrong with my current car, apart from being very old and a bit battered, and since I have a poor track record with what I like to call ‘touch parking’, a newer car would also probably end up a bit battered.  Also, my antiquated car annoys him, due to his love of shiny gadgets, (it doesn’t even have a working CD player, let alone any of those new-fangled things where you play your phone through the car, which frankly is some sort of Devil’s Work if you ask me), so the more it annoys him, the more determined I am to hang onto my lovely old car- or the mobile skip as he calls it!  I did buy a gorgeous pair of Ruby Slippers in the sales though- they were quite frivolous!

What is the best writing advice you’ve ever received?
Read as much as you can!  Who is going to argue with advice like that?

Do you prefer tea/coffee/hot chocolate?
Tea!  Always tea!  Lots and lots and lots of tea!  Coffee gives me palpitations, and has done ever since I was a student and did clever things like washing down Pro-Plus with black coffee, so it’s all about the tea!

Is there anything you’d like to add…?  
People quite often ask what I’m hoping to happen next- obviously more books would be amazing, but everything has been so unexpected, and happened so fast, so even if these books are all my publishing career ever consists of, it has been the most wonderful experience and I will be forever grateful for the opportunities that have come my way.  



*You can follow Gill (and Judgy Dog) on: 
Facebook- https://www.facebook.com/peterandjaneandmummytoo/

Twitter- @whymummydrinks

Instagram- @judgydogandgill

Don't forget to follow this blog for more awesome interviews, which will follow. 

2 comments:

  1. Love this! I’ve added “Why Mummy Swears” to my reading list. 😁

    ReplyDelete