Wednesday 24 October 2018

Interview with an Author - Number 2 - Wendy Hewlett

Author Bio
Wendy was born in Edinburgh, Scotland and raised in Ontario, Canada. She currently resides in Bala, Ontario, deep in the heart of cottage country, where she works at a private addictions treatment centre as a counsellor and support staff. 
Wendy's debut novel, Saving Grace, is the first in the Taylor Sinclair Series. The second novel in the series, Unfinished Business, was released in June 2014 and has proven to be as much of a page turner as Saving Grace. 



Author name: I use my real name – Wendy Hewlett, but I’m considering using a pen name for novels I’m writing in a different genre to what I’ve previously published.

Are you a traditionally published/indie/hybrid author?
Proud Indie Author, although I hope to publish traditionally at some point.

What was the last book you released?
Unfinished Business – Book 2 in the Taylor Sinclair Series.


How long have you been writing? 
I began writing my first novel in 2011, so nearly eight years. I did some writing in my younger years, but nothing serious.

What is the most challenging thing about writing for you?
Editing, hands down. I find it very tedious, so I have a hard time making myself sit down to do it. I a perfect world, I’d be able to hire an editor.

And what is the best thing about writing?  
When you get into that zone where the words just flow as if they’re coming from a source other than you. Sometimes I feel like I’m just the conduit for the story and am amazed at what ends up on the page.

Where is your favourite writing spot?
On my couch with my feet up. I can’t sit at my desk for long periods of time with my back issues, so the more comfortable I can get, the more work I can get done.

What do you do during times of self-doubt or (goodness forbid) if “writer’s block” strikes? 
I’ve never really been hit with self-doubt, but when I’ve had a bit of a writer’s block, I find doing some research or even just stepping away from the computer for a while to let the scene play in my head is the best way to get over it. My biggest issue with sitting down to write is my pain levels and lack of sleep. I suffer from chronic low back pain which messes with my sleep, so I’m often exhausted. I’ll sit down to write and won’t be able to keep my eyes open. It’s frustrating.

What is the most frivolous thing you’ve purchased with your royalties?
I can’t say that I’ve spent my royalties on anything frivolous. I usually end up putting that money back into my writing whether it’s stocking up on paperback copies, purchasing books on writing, or investing in marking or promotional materials.

What is the best writing advice you’ve ever received?
To write everyday and to read a lot. Reading is the best way to learn the craft and writing everyday is how you improve. I’ve got a tattoo on my right forearm of a quill and beneath it is written ‘Write On’. It’s a reminder to write everyday.

Do you prefer tea/coffee/hot chocolate?
I’m a tea jenny, currently obsessed with Chai tea.

Is there anything you’d like to add…?  
Just to say thank you for including me in your Author Interviews.


*You can follow Wendy on: 


2 comments: