Friday 26 October 2018

Interview With an Author - Number 4 - J.S. Frankel

Author Bio
J.S. Frankel was born in Toronto, Canada and grew up there, receiving his tertiary education from the University of Toronto and graduating with a double major in English Literature and Political Science.

After working at Gray Coach Lines for a grand total of three years, he moved to Japan at the age of twenty-six and has been there ever since, teaching English to any and all students who enter his hallowed school of learning.




Author name: J.S. Frankel

Are you a traditionally published/indie/hybrid author?
I’m traditionally published, with small to mid-size presses. 
My main publisher is Devine Destinies, at DevineDestinies.com. 
My other main publisher is Regal Crest, a small but solid publisher of LGBT literature.

What was the last book you released?
My most recent novel is The Incredible Aunty Awesomesauce, a YA/Fantasy novel, with a lot of humor and action; my speciality. 



How long have you been writing?
I started writing in 2011, but didn’t get serious about it until 2014. 
Since then, I’ve been averaging almost five published novels a year. (Yes, I write fast!).

What is the most challenging thing about writing for you?
For me, it’s never been about finding something to write about. It’s my narrative technique. 
At first, it was basically poor, and I had to work very hard to improve it. 
Over time, it has gotten better, and I hope to make it a strong point in the near future. 
I also dislike editing. It’s time consuming and boring at times, but it is necessary.

And what is the best thing about writing? 
For me, it’s running with the ideas I get. I let my imagination go wild and go to town on things! 
I can write anything and everything and not worry about mistakes. I can always fix mistakes and plot holes; I can’t fix an empty page.

Where is your favourite writing spot?
At my desk, near the kitchen in my apartment. I don’t write anywhere else. I sit my butt down, type away, and don’t stop until my eyes begin to cross.

What do you do during times of self-doubt or (goodness forbid) if “writer’s block” strikes? 
I have never had writers block. Never. 
I have, however, at times, wondered if what I was writing was good, would I finish it, etc. Those times are relatively rare, but when they arise, I take a couple of days off if necessary, wonder “What if?” and play around with various scenarios. Then, I get back to writing.

What is the most frivolous thing you’ve purchased with your royalties?
Let’s see, frivolous thing? Hmmm….I took my wife and children out to dinner a couple of times for a nice meal. My name isn’t Stephen King or J.K. Rowling, sad to say, so my royalties are considerably lower than theirs are. J

What is the best writing advice you’ve ever received?
Don’t give up! 
Years back when I doubted my ability, an older writer told me that I had potential and that I should develop what talent I had. It wasn’t anything that I hadn’t heard before, but the way she said it made me believe that I could do it. And I have been doing it ever since.

Do you prefer tea/coffee/hot chocolate?
Number one: COFFEE! Number two, tie with tea and hot chocolate.

Is there anything you’d like to add…? 
I would like to say thank you for sending me this questionnaire and allowing me to answer these questions. 
I would also like to thank my publishers, Devine Destinies and Regal Crest, for taking the chance on me. Without your support, I wouldn’t be writing. 
I’d also like to thank many other writers for supporting me, and most of all, everyone who’s read my novels and have bought them!!


*You can follow J.S. Frankel on: 
Facebook



2 comments:

  1. Many thanks for a really nice interview, and I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, you're very welcome J xx
      Thank you for taking part.
      Glad you like the blog. It has a snarky tone - life's too short and tragic to be entirely serious :)

      Delete