Tuesday 7 July 2015

My Crafty Side


Thanks P.J. Maclayne for passing on this blog topic from your blog

For those who aren’t aware; as well as being a full time Admin, author and all round busy person, I am also a witch! “Aaargh!” I hear you cry, “She’s going to cast an evil spell on us!! Run awaaaay!!!” Actually, people’s first response to this is usually a rather worried, “What kind of witch are you?”
Well, let me reassure you that you’re quite safe; I am a hedge witch. This is a “good” witch, mainly concerned with herblore. It’s all part and parcel of my goody-two-shoes, I want to heal people side.
Although, technically, I could access dark magic and curse you with a big warty nose, it’s really not worth it as the law of thirds comes into force, and whatever I dish out I get back threefold, so unless I want a full face of warts I’m just not going to do it!

So, what do I do? I’m still very new, and am studying lots of things. But the sort of things I do are observing the moon's phases, honouring Mother Earth (sister moon and father sun too) and offering thanks. Some of this involves 'craft' work.

This weekend I harvested some of my lovely fresh herbs. I was feeling all grumpy Friday night, and despite a good night’s sleep I was still in a bad mood Saturday morning (how vexing!). So I went out into the garden and picked lemon balm like there was no tomorrow! Some of which I brewed into a fairly pleasant tea (the gorgeous smell as I picked the herbs and the tea had me feeling quite a bit better instantly).

I also plucked a rose to get petals, and a few heads of white lavender (most intoxicating!).

I laid these ingredients out on a sunny windowsill to help dry them out (having washed them to get rid of bugs).


I drank the tea whilst I waited for the herbs to dry, and having spent some time standing in the sunshine, absorbing the light and re-energising my heart chakra (my very own ‘familiar’ cat in my shadow whilst I did), I was ready to make my bath bag. So simples even I can do it; square of muslin, whack herbs in, crushing a little, and tied up with a bit of string. Hang from faucet as you run bath! I then took it off the tap and had it bobbing as a flower bomb whilst bathing and relaxing.


Also this weekend I picked a whole bunch of mint leaves, washed, dried, bruised and tore into a jar. And then poured loads of olive oil on top. All air sealed, and now brewing in a dark place for 4-6 weeks, so I can get some yummy mint oil. My main intention is to help ease headaches, but I’m sure I’ll find many uses for it.



Gasp! No cauldron, no newts, nothing. Just herbs and oil!

So now you know a little about my witch self. Please feel free to ask any questions.


 If you liked reading this (or indeed if you just fancy reading about a different kind of craft/DIY project) please hop over to my author friend Paula Shene's blog here to read 'Splatter Platter'.
She's also written this rather lovely book:


No comments:

Post a Comment