Thursday 21 June 2018

Positive Mental Attitude (PMA) & Manifestation for Writers, or Anyone Really


Yeah, so I'm one of those. The annoying positive thinking types. Don't groan like that please; it's not attractive 😉

Now, that doesn't mean it's easy, or that I go around in my fluffy cloud land permanently. Far from it.  I actually struggle with depression. There, I said it!
Where did you think the Darkness & Light Duology came from? 😉 Yes, I strive to balance both.

I do try to see the positives. The flower amongst the weeds is beautiful, delicate yet strong.

Count what you DO have, not what you have not.
Go on, take a minute now, I'll wait...
What blessings do you have?
Did you wake up this morning? Is there a safe roof over your head? Was there hot and cold running water in your taps? And food in your fridge/cupboards?
So many things which we take for granted are seen by others as rich treasures and luxuries.

We live in a capitalist world, consumerism runs riot.
We are bombarded by constant messages of "you need this in your life", "your life is incomplete without this product" etc.
Eurgh! So tiresome 😩
Then there's the images we're shown of digitally enhanced images of unattainable "beauty". Who's to say what's beautiful, anyway? We all are by the way. Our bodies are mini miracles floating around on this little rock hurtling through the vast cosmos.


Life is fleeting. It's a mere blink of an eye in universal terms.
What you do with it is up to you.
Yes, you have choice.

Life is full of frustrations, I get that. I really do.
But if we constantly tell ourselves we can't do something, then there is only ever going to be one result. We get in our way.

There's a problem? What's the solution?
I know this is very simplistic and not always that easy, by the way.
But that cringe-inducing phrase "they're not problems, they're challenges" really does hold some wisdom.
What can you do to resolve it?

example
I had a very Mondayish Monday this week.
I was actually in a really good mood, excited for the week as I got out of bed. But then I turned on my computer.
Uh oh!
I had the 'Merda Touch' - it's like the Midas touch, but brown and smelly 😕
Everything I touched turned to 💩
My gut reaction was to run back to bed and hide under my duvet until Monday went away. This is AN option, for sure.
But, I chose a different path. I poured a larger cup of coffee, had a break, then gritted my teeth and hunkered down.
I systematically went through each problem, looking past the presenting problem and finding what was really behind it. Then tackled those.
I sent emails, I made calls, I social media'd. I did whatever it took to right the wrongs.
And I did. By the end of Monday, I was back on track.

Now, in my ethos, there's lessons in all things. It's really annoying, but I clearly accept I had to go through that stuff, that I have learned something. My resolve was strengthened, at least.
Do I wish it had been different? Hell yeah! But it wasn't. Nothing else to be done about it. On with the next day.


And that sums up life, doesn't it?
There's ups, there's downs. There's good times, which are shown all the better in contrast with the bad.
Buddhists will tell you there is no good, and there is no bad, just experiences.
As much as I admire this, I've not managed to fully detach myself enough to live that way yet.
But I no longer take things so personally.

You know what? The world's not against you.
Sure, it feels that way sometimes. But the world is a busy place. It's not going to waste time victimising individuals.



So, in writing terms...
You may still be struggling to finish your first book. You don't get enough time. You're stuck. You don't know where the story's going.
Write when you can. That's all anyone asks. And if a story is desperately trying to break through, find time, make it. Try to structure your day/week in a way that will give you a window. Does ALL the housework need to be done? Will that bit of dust kill you? Sometimes, just the basics are good enough.

Or maybe you've tried a marketing strategy but floods of readers haven't bought your book?
Oh, I know this one intimately.
But, even if hundreds didn't make the purchase, how many SAW your advert?
Exposure for your book is always good. Your name is getting out there.
Slow and steady wins the race.

I often refer back to my article with advice for new authors
As snarky as it is, there are some important facts in there.
Nobody is ever really an overnight success.
Everybody has to work hard to achieve greatness.
JK Rowling's Harry Potter was turned down 12 times by publishers!
Go to the article for more fun stats like this btw. I know it often makes me feel betterer (my word!).

Stop putting so much pressure on yourself.
C'est la vie, and all that.

What's your goal?
Plan to achieve.

Try an Angel Board.
Put pictures of your goal on there, thanking the angels (or deity of your choosing) for (whatever it is you desire). Keep it in the present tense, as if you already have those things. And keep is SMART
Don't expect miracles to happen for you. Make things happen.
Keep going back to your board regularly. What steps have you taken that bring you closer to that goal?

My wonderful friend who is now with the angels, used to tell me...
"Keep on keeping on"
"Everything is exactly as it should be"
She's right. And yes, she still gets those messages through when I'm very mardy.

Keep dreaming. Dream big.
Dream. Believe. Acheive.
Reach for the moon, and you might just get the stars.
And all that jazz.





Always in love and light,

TL



2 comments:

  1. This is a lovely reminder to focus on the bright side.
    I’m a believer in all things happening for a reason, so whatever you had to go through on Monday had a purpose. Maybe if I could figure out what the lesson is I’m supposed to be learning from my struggles, I’d get some relief. 😊

    ReplyDelete