Saturday 1 June 2019

REVIEW - The Scarlet Letter - a dreary tale

Date read: 1st June 2019

My rating: 3*

Genre I reckon: Classics (a dark one)

Buy link: not included




Now, I only ever review books on here that I'd genuinely recommend to a friend. Does this book belong here then? Maybe, maybe not. I can't decide, so here it is, just in case you want to know about it. Make your own mind up.

The Scarlet Letter is one of those books you've heard about, and feel you OUGHT to read.

btw - skip The Custom House preamble. It's utterly pointless.

This is a hard one to rate.
It is, of course, very well written. And a great insight into 17th century Puritan life (but written in 1850).
Incidentally, the same could be said of me as I'm currently writing a Regency romance. Similar distance in the future of the time in the book! 😲 Weird!!

Anyway, the language is therefore is of its time, and can feel a bit of an effort to wade through.

Hester Prynne is a sinner (*points accusing finger*). She's had a baby, and it's clearly not her husband's. 😱 Enter the scarlet letter itself.
The story is basically of her atonement for this DREADFUL sin. And the suffering spreads further than merely to herself. She is an outcast. (*points more forcefully*)
And that's the long and short of this book; suffering, misery and more suffering.

The daughter is a wild contrast of all this. But not necessarily in a good way. She is often caste as a demon child.

And yet, I found myself intrigued and compelled to reach the conclusion.

I understand many school children have been forced to read this, and I pity them. It must be quite an ordeal to pick this apart.
However, as an adult with no other agenda than to read the book as is, it's an interesting one.

Fancy a real reading challenge? Here it is!
Want a fun, light-hearted book; avoid!
lol


Always in love and light,
TL

No comments:

Post a Comment