Saturday 18 April 2020

REVIEW - Villette - la verite

Date read: 18th April 2020

My rating: 3*

Genre I reckon: Classics

Buy link: Amazon






Est-ce que tu parles français? 
If you are unable to read the above sentence, this is not the book for you. Having a basic grasp of the French language is prerequisite. There is a plethora of French scattered throughout. 
My old school French just about carried me through. I can't be bothered to hop around, looking up translations to read a novel tbh. I made do. 
At the time of writing, all readers, I daresay, would have spoken French fluently. It was a sign of being well-educated. So, we may forgive this now irritating aspect - it was not intended for us. 

I make a thing of not reviewing any book on my blog unless I would truly recommend it to a friend. 
However, this is a rare exception to that rule. Honestly, I wouldn't advise you to read it unless you also wish to satisfy your curiosity. 

Jane Eyre, it is commonly known, is my favourite book of all time - in the world ever! 
I have no idea why it took me so long to read another book by the same author. But I sort of wish I hadn't. 
This is NOT a bad book. It's just not great either. 


I do not particularly like Lucy Snowe (the MC). She is rather severe upon everybody yet is lacking in many aspects herself. In short, she is rather dull. 
There are characters around her who capture some interest. Dr John being perhaps the liveliest. Everybody has flaws - great. No, as not many have any redeeming features either. Does this make them more 'real'? Possibly. 
Yet, having said that, there is something likeable about Lucy and I found myself wanting her to get a happily ever after. Perhaps it's her truly independent spirit which endears her to me.

Incidentally, I believe the fictional Villette to be loosely based on Brussels.

It's also long. Mixed with my tedious trudging through this tome and the distraction of The Virus going on, it's taken me over a month to read the flippin' thing! 😲
But I was determined to do it. 
And you know what? I'm glad I did. The story really picked up towards the end. 

Now, I shall not deceive you. It is not the glorious ending I had hoped would be my payoff. But it did improve the book in my estimation. 

But perhaps there is an unfair comparison. 
Jane Eyre is full of character, vibrancy, undulating emotions. Reading that is truly like riding a roller coaster, even in full knowledge of what will happen next. Jane is also rather plain but manages to avoid being dull. She has honour but some fire too when provoked. 
That novel is full of emotion. Perhaps it is that very lack of sentiment which leaves me feeling disappointed with this offering. 

The flowery synonym is used rather poetically yet quite laboriously. Whole passages are written in a sort of dream-like style. 

If one word could sum up Villette it may be "pious". Another would be "melancholy".

Villette was written after Jane Eyre. I like to hope/think that writers improve as they journey through their career. It seems this is not always the case. Perhaps, as life had become terribly painful for Charlotte by this point, her spark had dimmed? I can't say I blame her. 
As this book echoes some of the author's own experiences, I can only feel more sympathy for her than ever. 

So, dear reader, if you are looking for an excellent read, I urge you to choose Jane Eyre over Villette if indeed there is a choice to be made.
If you have enjoyed Jane and are looking for a similar tome, you won't find it here. Sorry.
What you will find is a well-written book. Just not what this reader was expecting. 

By the way, there were certain items which are mentioned so many times, I felt compelled to ascertain their true appearance. 
Sabots were/are clogs and the bonnet grec is a sort of fez hat (both pictured below).

 




Always in love and light, 
TL



No comments:

Post a Comment