Wednesday 27 May 2020

REVIEW - Year One - One helluva journey!

Date read: 27th May 2020

My rating: 4*

Genre I reckon: Dystopian Fantasy

Buy link: Amazon

Follow the author: on Instagram  




Let me start this review with a warning; we are currently living in lockdown for COVID-19 as I write this. Now, if you're even a little bit nervous, wait until afterwards before reading this. 

The reason for this caution is because, obviously, this book deals with a deathly pandemic; it says so right in the book description. But sh*t gets real!! 

It's taken me about a month to read this book. It was a bit much for me right now. 

However, I loved the gritty realism. And then the magickal aspects. 

The opening is what every author wants to achieve - an intriguing hook. It dragged me in...
"When Ross MacLeod pulled the trigger and brought down the pheasant, he had no way of knowing he'd killed himself. And billions of others." 
Without darkness, there can be no light. And there's a whole lot of darkness just brought to Earth in this tale. 
With such a high death toll, who will survive and how? 

There were some parts which lingered too long, if I'm being honest. But that's just me. 
And there were an awful lot of characters. However, I managed to keep on top of it, perhaps with a little confusion here and there.
After the initial outbreak, there's focus on a couple of different groups of people. And it was during this that I lost focus. But this was probably at least partly owing to my slow reading pace. 

I loved the way the stories were interwoven. And sorry when we lost track of some people; I'm hoping to catch up with them though. 
There's some really interesting folk; some I love and some I love to hate - brilliant! 

By the time I got to the end, I was itching for book 2. And now there's more about the magick and less about The Doom (the plague/pandemic/virus), it might just be safe enough for me to get it 😉

Dystopian fans - you should definitely try this.
Those new to the genre - try it once you feel stable enough to do so.



Always in love and light,
TL

 


No comments:

Post a Comment