Monday 26 August 2019

Regency England Research - post 16 - The Summer of Celebrations


And so we face the final curtain (*sings the Frank Sinatra song dolefully*).
Here we are, my final Regency England post (*mops away tears*). It’s been quite a journey! Hopefully, you’ve gained an insight into the heaps of research that went into my book Regency Love – Reflections of a Young Lady. Perhaps it helps explain why it took me a year to write.

And maybe you’ve discovered some useful information for your own Regency romance/historical novel. I do hope so.

I wanted to end on a good note, so am focussing on the Summer of Celebrations.
Prinny, who we by now have learned, was fond of a good ‘bash’ (party), and he went ‘all out’ in 1814.
It was the centenary of Hanoverian rule (i.e. his family had sat on the throne for 100 years). It was also the anniversary of the Battle of the Nile and he had just signed the Treaty of Paris, making the two countries friends again. Huzzah!
There were three months of festivities, dubbed “The Summer of Celebrations”. Many dignitaries (the Allied Sovereigns) attended; King Louis XVIII, Czar Alexander I, King William III of Prussia, the Prince of Liechtenstein, and many more. You can imagine the parties, balls and banquets they experienced.

There was a big ceremony held for the new Duke of Wellington at Buckingham House.
James Sadler was invited by Queen Charlotte to perform a hot air balloon ascent in August– it was still a huge draw for the crowds.

The Grand Jubilee was held in honour of all these things. The main event was held on 1st August across three parks (Hyde, St James’ and Green). All of London basically turned out to celebrate. There were model ships made for a re-enactment on the Serpentine. Pagodas, temples, all manner of things were constructed in aid of the celebration, many of which had fireworks launched from them. See more details in that link.

And so it is, under a burst of virtual fireworks that I end my Regency notes.

Thank you so much for being on this journey with me.

(*whispers*) don’t forget to buy my book 😉

Always in love and light,
TL

~ Please feel free to browse my blog. I jot down whatever writing tips come my way and review books I’d genuinely recommend to a friend. Don’t be a stranger now!

No comments:

Post a Comment