Monday 14 September 2020

Staying at Daisy's - will stay in my heart

Date read: 14th September 2020

My rating: 4.5*

Genre I reckon: Chick Lit 

Buy link: Amazon 



When times are dark, there's nothing like a good chick lit novel to lift one's spirits. And this one filled the brief beautifully. 

Confession: I'd...never...read... a Jill Mansell book - shocking, I know. But there it is. So many books, so little time. And I've remedied the situation now. 

So, Staying At Daisy's - my head kept trying to place the hotel in Scotland, but no, it's near Bath (a city I love btw). Daisy helps run her father's fabulous large country house hotel. He's a larger than life character with an unfortunate fondness for karaoke. 

All the characters leap off the pages of this book. They each have their own quirks and are masterfully brought to life. And those lives interweave like a twisty turny thing. 

As the story unfolds, there's plenty of farce and action - all with a delightful British wit. 
What should be a quaint village is turned into a hotbed of scandal. Love it! 

I don't think the author specifies, but the time this book is set in is the late 1990s, I think. And it was a lovely trip down memory lane at times (this was my era!). It was fascinating to see how opinions and behaviours have changed over the not-so-many-thank-you-very-much-years. 

If you like chick lit you'll want to read this one. 

Always in love and light,
TL


No comments:

Post a Comment