Saturday 20 March 2021

REVIEW - This Changes Everything - but love changes not

This Changes Everything by Helen McGinn

Date read: 20th March 2021

My rating: 4*
Genre I reckon: Wistful family romance
Buy link: Amazon 


This author is better known to me as the cheerful wine expert who appears on TV's Saturday Kitchen. I was sort of hoping the wine choices would illustrate the story's progress more than it does tbh - but that was just me being geeky and unfair. 

This is a really lovely story. The main focus is on a couple in their sixties, which is refreshing.

Julia's two grown-up daughters follow her to Rome, fearful she's going to leap into another impromptu marriage. We are treated to a beautiful tour of the city as a result - sights, sounds and flavours. However, not everything is quite as palatable as the girls find out more than they had bargained for. 

No spoilers, but as the story unfolds from there, it gets more and more emotional. I'm not afraid to admit I cried. 

Not only do we get to 'see' Rome, but Cornwall gets a good viewing too, complete with crashing waves. 

It's a gentle saunter through a difficult topic. Very well written - hard to believe this is a debut novel. 
Just delightful!


Always in love and light,
TL

No comments:

Post a Comment