Sunday 4 August 2024

REVIEW - CROWN OF STONES 2 - stone the crows!

The Crown of Stones - Magic Scars (series book 2) by CL Schneider

Date read: 4th August 2023

My rating: 5*
Genre I reckon: Epic Adventure Fantasy 
Buy link: Amazon 



My goodness, this is DRAMATIC!! 

I read book 1 in 2022, but I've developed a sensitive disposition the last couple of years, so delayed reading this one until I felt ready. There are definitely plenty of triggers here; all sorts of compulsion and abuse. But then, this series is set in a war-torn land - one shouldn't expect fluffy fairy-tales when reading such an epic adventure.

And epic, it is. 
I was blown away by the descriptions. Ian Troy (and friends) has been through a LOT. And it's not getting any easier. I felt every pain and each moment of joy. 
The scenes I was transported to were varied and colourful - I could see and smell it all. And the characters all have such depth. You KNOW these people, all their good and bad points. 
Every swish of the blade and stab of the dagger is rendered in all their gory glory.

It's action-packed. Just as you think poor Troy can have a breather for five minutes to recover, he is catapulted into more drama. Every turn there is a new danger. And he's wrong-footed at every turn. I kept wanting to yell, "Don't trust (...)!". But then it's ever so difficult to know who is good, who's bad and whose side is anyone really on anyway? 

The frustrations, the compassion, the striving to do one's best, the battle of survival, the mourning (my own heart sank at the losses), the brief glimpses of small victories, the burden of responsibility...just incredible. 

So much is stacked against our hero. Can he ever defeat all his foes? And is peace in such a divided world even possible? I'm definitely going to read book 3 to find out (with my breath held and fingers crossed!).


Always in love and light, 
TL

No comments:

Post a Comment