Widdershins by Helen Steadman
Date read: 17th September 2026
My rating: 5*Genre I reckon: Historical Fact Fiction (1650)
Buy link: Amazon
This is an amazing book! Don't get me wrong, it's intense and heavy going (there is a lot of violence and trauma). But the research that's gone into this is incredible. A real historical witch trial gives this story its foundation, but the worldbuilding gives it legs.
We actually have two tales; John Sharpe who has a terrible start in life, and Jane Chandler who is raised with love. The whole book gives each of these characters their own chapters until at last their paths cross with terrible consequences.
I was completely immersed in 17th century life, and it was grim but wonderfully so. There are characters you will love and some you will love to hate.
I loved how this book flips the narrative; the women who would be called witches are lovely, caring folk who are wrongfully accused over and over again. Whilst the real evil is perpetrated by the men who would condemn them.
I will definitely be reading the next book. I might just need something more light-hearted first, though!
An important, poignant and powerful read.
Always in love and light,
TL


No comments:
Post a Comment