Monday 8 February 2021

REVIEW - Buried Magic - unleashes its power

Date read: 8th February 2021

My rating: 4.5*
Genre I reckon: Witchy Suspense
Buy link: Amazon 

Follow the author: TJ Green


As Imbolc drew near, I really fancied a witchy read and this has been on my TBR pile for a while. I was not disappointed! 

It's the first of a 6 book series - just warning in advance. 

The witchy bits are very well researched - hoorah! It does not seek to paint all witches as evil harridans - hoorah again! And includes male witches - and it's three cheers from me! 

Set in a British (Cornish) seaside village, a group of peace-loving witches live in an idyll. Well, until a lady hands over a whole load of information in her will, awakening...something. The hunt for their family grimoires begins. Black magick rears its ugly head as something or someone seeks them too. 

There's a big question mark over who is truly trustworthy.
Witch trials happened in the UK before they occurred in Salem, and this is covered in the family history here, casting shadows over the present.

A fab mix of characters in a story which doesn't shy away from very real danger. 

There is a lot of scene setting for the rest of the series here, but I felt it was necessary. One must build foundation upon which the rest of the tale may stand. 

I want to say it's written in a YA style but the characters are a bit older than that. 
There's the hint of romance (behind closed doors), allowing the main focus to be on the witchy mystery. 

A fun, compelling read. I've already downloaded book 2! 


Fun spooky fact: I was reading in bed at night, and the first time dark magick sweeps in, my essential oil diffuser switched off, plunging me into darkness! 😱 My heart raced a bit, I tell ta. 


Always in love and light,
TL


No comments:

Post a Comment