Tuesday 4 February 2020

JOURNAL - The Fat Girl's Guide to Loving Your Body - entry 9

Book available to buy here

Entry 9 - Triggers (not to be confused with trigger warnings)

So, what has me flying into crisis mode? 
I do dance with depression. It's a less frequent visitor these days, but it still pops by, usually if I'm overly tired or am about to come down with a cold. 

My self-hatred rears up if I feel like I've failed. I'm super competitive. I still have some incredibly high standards for myself - better than I was, but still a work in progress. 

I'm also a bundle of hormones - there's one or two days each month that my anger is much closer to the surface. 

Add to all this, time pressures and if there's a financial squeeze, then it's time to nosedive! 

Occasionally, I'm caught unawares. 
Smell is a powerful memory-jogger.
Recently, I encountered a chap. He had the 'alcoholic eye' going on (children of alcoholics know the glazed, dilated pupil look) and he smelled of 'old pub'. He was in fairly close proximity and I had to speak to him. But inwardly, alarm bells were going off like crazy. My flight reaction had been triggered but I wasn't able to obey it. 
The chap himself wasn't any real threat, but the warning signs of old were there all the same. My instincts told me he was a potential threat. 
I wasn't expecting this at all, and felt a bit wobbly for the rest of the day. My head kept replaying the scenario as I examined why I had such a powerful reaction.
And actually, a brief moment of closing my eyes, deep breathing and shielding helped restore my sense of security.

But, I am now more self-aware than ever before. I'm aware of these triggers and my mood. 
Sometimes, removing myself from the situation is enough e.g. a quiet lie down in a darkened room until my blood stops boiling when angered.

My mantra: THIS TOO SHALL PASS

Not gonna lie; sometimes, shoving chocolate or crisps into my gob is still a soother. 


KL Montgomery's 4 Happy P's challenge

1) My Happy PLACE
I have one in my mind I can go to via meditation if I can't physically get out.
But time in the forest is definitely a great place.
Sometimes, the seaside. 
Or the lighting section in John Lewis - ooh, pretty shinies 😁 (slightly akin to Breakfast at Tiffany's?)
My luxury option is the spa at Chewton Glen (*ahhh*)

2) Happy PEOPLE
Hubby 💖
My bestie
Or step Girl
My spiritual lady - she's with the angels now, but I still reflect on her presence, think of the things she used to tell me

3) Happy PASSIONS
Hello, Mrs!? 😉 Oh, hobbies, right.
Playing my flute - music soothes the savage beast, and all that
Horse riding - sadly not much of an option these days 
Going abroad, experiencing a different life
Vegging in front of films 

4) Happy PLEASURES
A good massage
Self-Reiki / grounding
Hot bubble bath, preferably with candles and wine
Listening to music
Reading 
Anything crafty with my hands (keeps my mind occupied) 



Always in love and light,
TL




No comments:

Post a Comment