Wednesday 5 February 2020

JOURNAL - The Fat Girl's Guide to Loving Your Body - entry 10

Book available to buy here

Entry 10 - Self-Love

Right, now we're talking! This is something I know about. 
Did I mention I've literally written the book Self Love?
That book came about from years of experience, as a counsellor, holistic therapist and my own journey. 
Sure, it's a humorous novel but it also aims to help the reader improve their own self-care. 
I'd like to point out that yes, the heroine does go on a weight loss journey but it's because of health issues. It's not about that. It's about her self-discovery. 

OK, enough advertising 😉
There's a serious message here. 


Let me repeat that...
Self-love is NOT selfish, it IS essential! 
You cannot pour from an empty cup. 
If you are not at your best you are not best able to help others. 
Plus, y'know, who wants to feel rubbish? 

But we have years of conditioning to battle here. We've been taught "don't be selfish". 
I'm here to tell you that's not right. 
No, we shouldn't be all about self. But we shouldn't neglect self either. 

I ran some self-talk talks last year. They were really popular, but I have a global fan base, so I recorded a mini version of the talk. Please take ten minutes to watch it on YouTube or my IGTV. It really is worth it, I promise. It's free! 


 
Feel free to nab these images and print them
I created these for a double-sided leaflet 

There are what I call self-love tools, such as:

  • Meditation (link takes you to one of mine on the InsightTimer app but there's loads out there)
  • Giving thanks for your blessings
  • Stop feeling guilty
  • Ensure your inner voice is your own and that it's kind
  • Reduce/stop using "should"
  • Accept and give compliments
  • Get enough sleep
  • Take social media breaks
  • Forgiveness (of self & others)
  • Celebrate your successes
  • Treat yourself
  • Carry crystals/essential oil cream
  • Create a jar of happiness
  • Eat healthily
  • Exercise (find something you enjoy)
  • Get crafting
  • Listen to music (especially helpful when doing housework; Snow White had a point!) 😆
  • Reading
I could go on, but you get the idea. It's not all about hot baths and candles, as nice as they are. 

This is what some of mine look like.
I'm a huge fan of sleep. I have days out with Hubby and also my bestie. Strolls in the forest. Eating yummies. My bedside has a plethora of essential oils and crystals. Kitty cuddles. Reading, obvs. 

Last year, I also started a bullet journal. 
The thing I found most helpful is the Mood Tracker aspect. I'm a bit of a drama queen (*shocked gasp*), and tend to catastrophise sometimes. The mood tracker helped me see that my months were never all bad, and often a lot better than I gave myself credit for. Although, January 2020 was mostly 'tired'. But then I'm taking a lesson from that and factoring in more rest in February.
So, armed with all this knowledge, why am I reading KL's book? 
Well, I'm great at giving advice, not so good at taking it. 
I keep saying it but I really am a work in progress. I say that without shame. We all are. None of us are perfect. 
I'm a lot better than I used to be but appreciate there's still more I can and will do.


I'm currently eating more spinach and bananas to cope with my energy dip.
I'm also mercifully getting more sleep - January had many early mornings. Waking up in the dark sucks even more for someone with SAD!
Jogging is starting to come back into my routine, and I'm hoping to get some yoga/pilates in too.

Have you got any plans for better self-love?
Feel free to share in the comments - no obligation.


Always in love and light,
TL




No comments:

Post a Comment