Monday 13 January 2020

JOURNAL - The Fat Girl's Guide to Loving Your Body - entry 4

Book available to buy here

Entry 4 - Letters to My Parts

So, the next journal assignments are letters to one’s body parts. I’m going to do a few together here otherwise there’ll be too many odd individual blog posts to each body part, and this is my author blog; it’d just be a bit weird as a series.


Feet & Legs
Dear Feet,
Thank you for getting me around, supporting my every step. People have put dry-ice and horrible things on when you picked up verrucas. And I’ve squeezed you into some terribly uncomfortable shoes. I’m sorry.
Horses have stepped on you. And I’ve moaned about you being too narrow – it does make my poor sense of balance harder to manage. But you’ve always done your best. It’s not your fault. I thank and love you.

My thighs – you have stretch marks from when I put on and lost weight. But I see those little lines as part of my journey. We’ve been through a lot together.
Horse riding made you muscly and then I neglected exercise and you got a bit wobbly. But you never stopped being beautiful. And you’ve helped me run away from danger. Thank you.


Modelling my Kinky Knickers (100% British made!)
Butt
Dear Butt,
You and I have had a difficult relationship. When you grew, I was paranoid it was too much. I feared other people’s judgement and then scrubbed you with rough things to rid you of your cellulite. But I understand now that lumps and bumps are natural and beautiful despite what the media would have us believe.
You’ve supported me, giving me a comfy cushion to rest on. Love you!

Me yoga'ing, which keeps the Supple
Waist, Belly & Hips
OK, you lot, look, I know everyone says Hips are child-bearing, but we both know that ain’t gonna happen. And maybe I've huffed at your pointless width in the past.

I know we struggle to find jeans which cater for you and Lower Back’s inny nature. But we get there.

I've come to love your curves. Jessica Rabbit rules!
Seriously, I've spoken to a lot of men in my admin career, from varying backgrounds. The vast majority prefer curves on women (just in case that has any meaning to anyone).

And who cares if Belly sticks out a bit? Not many people actually have washboard stomachs. Brain and Heart aren’t terribly keen on the idea of exercising to that point so I will love Belly just as she is. Did the lady in the film Pulp Fiction not wish for a pot belly? Do belly dancers not have sticky-out tummies, yet remain alluring?
Belly houses Tummy Monster, and as long as that gets fed we’re all happy.

You help keep the rest of Body mobile. The core muscles keep us upright and support Back – a vital part of me.

Arms, Shoulders & Back
Dear Back,
I’m terribly sorry that you were in so much pain in 2019. I’m doing my best to keep you mobile. Bear with, we’ll get there.

Arms – you have bingo wings. When I wave so do you. Society would tell us that’s not attractive. But hey, we’re over 40 – you’re never going to be non-flabby again. I need to make my peace with that.
Shoulders – I’d very much like it if you wouldn’t store all my tension in you, please. In return, I’ll do more yoga and stretching. I do appreciate you, especially as you help me carry beautiful hand/shoulder bags.


Unicorn pyjamas - yeah! 
Boobs
Now, I know people used to tease you for being small. It was hurtful and mean. Why is it usually women who pick on these things, despite the beauty ideal being set by the patriarchy? Girls, we really need to support one another better.
But Boobs, you grew and now you’re rather splendid. And even when you lose your pertness, I will still love you.

Face, Hair & Neck

Oh, Face. I know I stare at the dry, red skin and get overly critical because of those little bits. But as a whole, you do an amazing job. You house eyes to see, nose to smell, tongue to taste (VERY important!). You help me breathe and even hear, thanks to Ears.
Neck; I demand a lot of you. Maybe I need to treat you more kindly so you and Shoulders don’t hurt so much. And now age is catching up, there’s some wrinkly skin. You know what? Age is beautiful too.
Hair – you carry on being lovely you! Over 40 and you’re still long. I tried a short cut once and decided you’re easier long.

My insides - when I broke my poor wrist
(last time I ever go ice skating!)
Insides
Oh, my squishy innards - how marvellous you are. Nobody judges you on how you look, as most of the time you're not even on display. Yet, you're pretty high maintenance - I have to feed you nutritious food and the right drinks so you can perform your millions of functions every day. You do the vast majority of complaint. Billions of cells regenerating on a more efficient, less flamboyant version of Dr Who. You're incredible!

I broke that bone in the photo and you healed even that. Over time, you clubbed together and grew more bone stuff and fixed what I'd been careless of.

Brain - you work SO hard, and yet I demand even more from you and you oblige me by coming up with new books. But all the time you're ensuring all the others bits are still on top of their game. Thank you so much. I love you.

Heart - you pump the blood and hold the feelings. You often disagree with Brain, but I do try to listen to you both and make informed life choices.

And soul - oh, you thing of gorgeousness! I've come to know you better of late. You light me up, show me important things on my life path. You are my very essence in this flesh bag. You are the everlasting, the thing which will continue even when this body is no more. You are me!


Image created for #iweigh on Instagram which is awesome
Me
And talking of me - the sum of all my parts...
I am me!
It has taken me so many years to reach the point I can declare, loud and proud, "I am me!".
Don't like me? Who the f# cares? That's totally on you. You're in no way obliged to like me. Maybe I'm "too weird" or too anything, hell, maybe I'm even not enough something to meet your exacting standards. And I shan't lose one wink of sleep over it. Why?
Because, and this is super important... I...LOVE...ME!
I am authentically my true self. I live my life my way. Just doing my best to live.
Wanna come along for the ride? Awesome - I am friendly and appreciate the company.
But if you don't, well, that's a pity, but we all have our own path. I'm just walking mine. You walk yours.


*side note* All photos are of this author. Taken at varying stages. Some admittedly were when I was at my thinnest - I'm just too busy right now to take pics for each of these categories so am using what I had.


OK, I hope this blog post hasn't been too odd for you.
We all have bits we're not happy with and bits we love, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment